JuOSu
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 12:52 AM
Quote Post
N/A

Group: PBE GMs
N/A

CODE
Graded

And here we are again for the next twenty players in our Season 5 Top 50 players list. For the previous threads go here:

Introduction

#50-#31

Thanks to NamelessNate Shadowz @[doctor_topher] and myself for the write-ups this time. The money should be parted four ways between us.

And here are the next players:

30) SS Ziggy Coffey - Death Valley Scorpions https://i.imgur.com/KfiO1hh.png - 6.83

.293/.346/.389, 396 AB, 6 HR, 45 RBI, 107 wRC+, 2.4 WAR, +1.8 ZR, 77/15 SB/CS

Ziggy Coffey is a player that one may have considered an everyday player, good but not great before this season. However, this season Coffey discovered in himself the ability to steal the bases. His numbers jumped from a measly 8 steals and 8 caught stealing to a team leading 77 steals and 15 caught stealings, which was surprisingly more effecient than teammate Kevin Biggio and also lead him to an impressive 2.4 WAR. His batting numbers increased as well as he hit for .293 AVG with a .346 OBP both numbers up about .030 fromt the season before. As for fielding Coffey had a slight decline committing 6 errors more than the 2020 season but only 7 errors all season long is still comendable.

29) 1B Shooty McLish - San Antonio Sloths https://i.imgur.com/ZH5lZR6.png - 7.00

.269/.371/.403, 412 AB, 11 HR, 62 RBI, 116 wRC+, 1.9 WAR, +1.4 ZR, 0/0 SB/CS

Shooty McLish, the season 5 Gold Glove first baseman comes in at 29. Some may think this is a low outcome for the all-star first baseman but McLish experienced a slight decline at the plate batting for a .269 AVG where he had .295 the season before. He did however drive in 62 RBI on the season and contribute a 1.9 WAR. Defensively McLish flashed his glove spectacularly; he won the gold glove after a 4 error season which saw him have a +1.4 ZR his best since season 3.

27 tied) SS Ozamataz Buckshank - Death Valley Scorpions https://i.imgur.com/KfiO1hh.png - 7.17

.285/.356/.411, 404 AB, 10 HR, 55 RBI, 117 wRC+, 2.9 WAR, -0.2 ZR, 0/0 SB/CS

Now at 27 we have an unbreakable tie. The first half of this tie is Death Valley's GM and Short Stop, Ozamataz Buckshank. This may come as a disappointment to Buckshank as this season he saw a decline in his hitting effeciency stats. His AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS+ and wRC+ were all below last seasons numbers. Even in his down year Buckshank was able to improve in both RBI having batted in 55 runs and home runs where he improved upon his previous season by 4 to end the season with 10. Look for Buckshank to make a comeback this season as he looks to bring up his effeciency stats and keep his RBI and HR numbers where they are.

27 tied) CL John Smoltz Jr. - Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png - 7.17

4-5 W-L, 10 saves, 3.23 ERA, 64.0 IP, 12.52 K/9, 1.16 WHIP, 1.2 WAR, 132 ERA+

The other half of the spot 27 tie is recently traded reliever John Smoltz Jr. Smoltz who by many would be considered an elite reliever had a considerable down season on the mound. His ERA nearly tripled as he threw for a 3.23 ERA, the highest of his career, where he had 1.39 ERA the season prior. His WHIP and BABIP both increased considerably as well, he finished with a 1.16 WHIP and a .322 BABIP. This next season we may see Smoltz Jr. have a comeback season as he finds himself in a new home, Outer Banks.

26) 3B Steven Moore - Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png - 7.17

.270/.330/.487, 374 AB, 14 HR, 66 RBI, 121 wRC+, 2.7 WAR, +1.0 ZR, 2/0 SB/CS

At 26 we have a player who beat out the closely contested 27 spot by a tiebreaker. That player is Vandals 3rd Baseman and GM Steven Moore. Moore had breakout season in season 5 as he improved numbers across the board. His 66 RBI, .270 AVG, .330 OBP, .487 SLG, 124 OPS+, 121 WRC+ and 2.7 WAR were all career highs for the young 3rd baseman. It was good for his first Silver Slugger award at the position, but whether or not he can maintain these numbers remains to be seen. Defensively Moore played suffeciently by not committing too many errors, but it was not the focus of his game.

25) 2B Jarrod Stanton - Providence Crabs https://i.imgur.com/95I14kR.png - 7.17

.290/.334/.495, 438 AB, 19 HR, 57 RBI, 129 wRC+, 3.1 WAR, -2.1 ZR, 0/0 SB/CS

The Providence second baseman had an extremely solid S5 performance. For all intents and purposes probably the best season of his career (at least in this era), Stanton was a very capable hitter and fielder, able to get some pop off the bat for the Crabs offense, and contributing a respectable 19 homers. His fielding percentage of .986 also pegs him as an elite fielder in the infield. Stanton had a much better eye this year than ever before, striking out only 69 times--23 less than his next lowest total on a season (in a full season). This undoubtedly contributed to his solid average of .290. While average is very obviously important, in order for Stanton to improve his placement, he’ll need to find other ways to get on base--his walk totals were pretty measly (6% of ABs), and thus is OBP was nothing to write home about (.334).

24) CL Sebastian Musgrave-Smythe - Death Valley Scorpions https://i.imgur.com/KfiO1hh.png - 7.33

3-5 W-L, 18 saves, 3.16 ERA, 99.2 IP, 8.40 K/9, 1.32 WHIP, 0.9 WAR, 133 ERA+

THE Death Valley option in relief, Musgrave-Smythe had a lot on his shoulders in terms of keeping the Scorpions in games. Appearing in more than half their games in S5 (54), Musgrave-Smythe pitched 15.2 more innings (99.2) than his next closest season total. While being in a different era of pitching naturally brought down his ERA (3.16) from godly levels seen in S3 and S4 (Both sub 2.00), his ability to get on top of batters was still potent enough to guarantee wins--he finished the season with 18 saves. In order to take that next step forwards, Musgrave-Smythe is going to have to work on his control and getting down his BB numbers (43 in S5). As a pitch to contact sort of guy, it’s of the utmost importance that he’s able to place the baseball with precision.

23) SP Phillip Thompson - Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png - 7.33

10-7 W-L, 4.03 ERA, 165.1 IP, 6.91 K/9, 1.19 WHIP, 4.0 WAR, 106 ERA+

The presence of Phillip Thompson in the top 25 shows just how dominant the Vancouver Vandals pitching staff is--he was only their 4th best pitcher in S5. While his ERA (4.03) was a tad higher than most pitchers within his skill tier, his FIP (3.43) paints a clearer picture of his dominance on the mound. It’s likely that some of Thompson’s success, at least in the wins category (10), comes from pitching for an elite level Vandals team, however Thompson is clearly headed towards a stellar future. We’ll see if he can break top 20 next season.

22) SP Randy Koufax - Providence Crabs https://i.imgur.com/95I14kR.png - 7.50

12-7 W-L, 3.57 ERA, 171.1 IP, 7.14 K/9, 1.12 WHIP, 2.9 WAR, 119 ERA+

One of the key members of the Providence pitching staff, Koufax had yet another solid season with his S5 campaign. While not elite in any specific category, this Providence starter was able to stay consistent, one of the most important things to a team like the Crabs hoping to make a deep playoff run. Koufax had the second lowest ERA of his career (3.57), and trimmed his BABIP to within .006 of his best ever performance in that respect. This is the first season where Koufax really struggled to get strikeouts, putting up only 136 Ks in 171.1 innings pitched. Looking towards the future, Koufax will want to get that ERA closer to the 3.00 level in order to be considered elite, while also rounding out the other facets of his game. He’s really not far off from being top 15 in this league.

21) CL Alexander Ovechkin - San Antonio Sloths https://i.imgur.com/ZH5lZR6.png - 7.50

5-2 W-L, 16 saves, 2.19 ERA, 53.1 IP, 7.76 K/9, 1.09 WHIP, 1.3 WAR, 201 ERA+

One of the more consistent relievers in this league, Ovechkin proved his immense worth yet again in S5. Pitching in 40 games this season for the San Antonio Sloths, He was easily their most reliable option in relief. S5 was arguably the second best season of Ovechkin's career. While he actually pitched in the second lowest amount of innings in his career (53.1), He maintained the second best ERA (2.19), WHIP (1.09), BABIP (.280), and WAR (1.3) of his career. While a power pitcher by trade, strikeouts were easily the weakest part of his S5 outing, contributing only 46. In the future, Ovechkin will need to stay consistent in his appearances as well as contribute more strikeouts, something increasingly difficult in a league that gets more competitive with each passing day.

20) LF Robert Phelps - San Antonio Sloths https://i.imgur.com/ZH5lZR6.png – 7.50

.299/.382/.445, 411 AB, 9 HR, 62 RBI, 130 wRC+, 3.1 WAR, +3.0 ZR, 0/0 SB/CS

Robert Phelps has one of, if not the very, best bats to be overlooked as often as he is. The left fielder has hit at or above .300 the last two years and shows no signs of slowing down. And that's in addition to his back to back gold gloves. Phelps had a great season for San Antonio and continues to be a solid piece in the outfield.

19) SS Johnny Runakiwi - Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png – 7.50

.282/.335/.481, 412 AB, 17 HR, 65 RBI, 122 wRC+, 3.1 WAR, -3.5 ZR, 17/4 SB/CS

Johnny Runakiwi is bright star on a star filled roster. Sporting great power and even better contact, Runakiwi can be a success anywhere in the batting order. He's an extra basehit machine and when he can only pick up a single he's got the ability to steal second. He's a key kog to the Vandals dynasty. His power was one of the best parts of his game and he is one of the only players who can combine power and speed.

18) SP Chaz LaLocke - San Antonio Sloths https://i.imgur.com/ZH5lZR6.png – 7.67

15-4 W-L, 4.08 ERA, 187.1 IP, 7.59 K/9, 1.28 WHIP, 3.9 WAR, 108 ERA+

Chaz LaLocke has great control and still causes a lot of strike outs. While he was one of many pitchers who seemed to have a down year last year, LaLocke still recorded 158 Ks and posted a 15-4 record. He was the clear ace in the San Antonio team that was only a game behind first place and his fantastic win percentage may have had something to do with that.

17) CL D'Aroldis Borkman - Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png - 7.67

1-7 W-L, 7 saves, 3.20 ERA, 64.2 IP, 14.20 K/9, 0.99 WHIP, 2.2 WAR, 134 ERA+

D' Aroldis Borkman is a giant with unhittable stuff. Borkman posted a 1.78 FIP and a .99 WHIP this last season is what many considered a down year for him. Borkman is a strikeout machine and that won't change anytime soon. Borkman continues to be one of the best closers in the PBE and his insane strike-out rate was one of the best in the league.

16) 1B Min-Joon Do - Death Valley Scorpions https://i.imgur.com/KfiO1hh.png – 7.67

.280/.323/.495, 404 AB, 22 HR, 74 RBI, 124 wRC+, 3.4 WAR, +5.3 ZR, 0/0 SB/CS

Min-Joon Do is a reigning gold glove award winner. Not only is he that but he's a power hitter with the ability to cause pitchers headaches. Do was good for a wRC+ of 124 and a WAR 3.4 last season and he's only getting better. After a career of struggling Do seems to finally be turning it around and his season 5 performance was by far the best of his career. It will be interesting to see if he can continue this trend.

15) C Toshihiro Ishikawa – Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png - 7.67

.284/.336/.428, 402 AB, 10 HR, 49 RBI, 112 wRC+, 2.7 WAR, +1.6 ZR, 7/9 SB/CS

Toshihiro Ishikawa owns all the tie-breakers over the other guys with 7.67 and can claim to be a top 15 player in season 5. Ishikawa managed to win both Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards at Catcher for the second time in a row, entering a very elite group of players who managed this rare accomplishment more than once. He hit .284/.326/.428 for 2.7 WAR but considering these statistics are as a player at Catcher, one of the toughest positions to play and one of the thinnest in the league, they shine twice as bright.

14) CF Pepe Alazar – New York Voyagers https://i.imgur.com/1mBRoMe.png - 8.00

.293/.374/.411, 399 AB, 6 HR, 32 RBI, 120 wRC+, 3.5 WAR, +8.3 ZR, 4/3 SB/CS

Pepe Alazar had another really fantastic season. He hit .293/.374/.411 for 3.5 WAR this season and added a lot of value defensively. Alazar managed to snag both Silver Sluger and Gold Glove awards this season, something only about 10 players have done so far. He was the main bright point in an otherwise mediocre Voyagers offense that struggled to score runs at times. Alazar is a fantastic example of stability and can be counted on defensively and offensively in one of the main positions in baseball.

13) CF Kevin Biggio – Death Valley Scorpions https://i.imgur.com/KfiO1hh.png - 8.00

.295/.378/.364, 407 AB, 3 HR, 34 RBI, 115 wRC+, 3.7 WAR, +5.1 ZR, 77/25 SB/CS

Kevin Biggio impressed in a few different ways in Season 5, mainly with a high on-base percentage and a crazy amount of steals. Biggio hit .295/.378/.364 and had a staggering 77 stolen bases. His 3.7 WAR were good enough for a top ten spot among hitters. Biggio also scored 70 runs, good for fifth in the league, despite not being on a high-powered offense. His defense in Center Field did not earn him a Gold Glove, but he was very solid defensively as well. Biggio and Alazar were extremely close this year, as we also saw in the awards voting and Biggio was only ahead of Alazar on this list due to tiebreakers, which further shows just close they were.

12) SP Greg Steiner – Vancouver Vandals https://i.imgur.com/Gb8eEJQ.png - 8.17

13-3 W-L, 3.70 ERA, 180.0 IP, 7.35 K/9, 1.08 WHIP, 3.4 WAR, 116 ERA+

Greg Steiner has the unfortunate case of being on the Vandals. He may be the fourth best pitcher in this league but he is only the third best on the Vandals. If Steiner was on another team, he would be the clear ace. Steiner had a 13-3 record with a 3.70 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP. He was solid in pretty much every imaginable way and his 3.4 WAR was more than solid as well. His ERA was 5th in the league and he lead the league in win percentage. He was also fourth in the league in quality starts and quality starts percentage and seemingly got better as the season went on.

11) 2B Roger Baton – San Antonio Sloths https://i.imgur.com/ZH5lZR6.png – 8.17

.317/.374/.530, 404 AB, 18 HR, 69 RBI, 145 wRC+, 3.6 WAR, -5.3 ZR, 0/0 SB/CS

Roger Baton had a real breakout year for the Sloths. The Second Baseman lead the league in batting average and had career highs in almost every category. He raised his WAR from 1.6 last season to 3.6 this season. For a while this season, he actually looked like a legit MVP candidate and even a minor slump to end the year did not stop him from receiving votes for the award. He hit .317/.374/.530 with 18 home-runs and more than doubled his RBIs from last season to this one. Baton helped a high-powered offense in San Antonio and was a big reason why the Sloths were the number one offense this year.

And there you have it! Congratulations to everyone! We will be back in a few days with the top ten!

Discuss!

This post has been edited by timeconsumer: Aug 11 2018, 10:33 AM

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PM
^
NamelessNate
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 04:03 AM
Quote Post
N/A

Group: Head Office
N/A

I got pinged for this and I thought to myself "There's no way I'm on this list." Unfortunately I was right, but this is a great list and I highly anticipate the top 10!

--------------------
user posted image

PM
^
kckolbe
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 04:15 AM
Quote Post
N/A

Group: Members

I wasn't that solid on defense at all. 5 of my 12 career errors were committed this season.

So...Alazar was better than me on defense (which I agree with completely).
He was also better than me on offense (according to SS voters).

Yet Biggio was the better overall player? What did I beat Alazar with, locker room presence?

For what it's worth, I agree with the placement here. 3.7 WAR v 3.5 WAR passes the "smell test," as it were, but now can we admit I got screwed on Silver Slugger?

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
iamslm22
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 07:08 AM
Quote Post
humble like kendrick

Group: MiLPBE GMs

QUOTE (kckolbe @ Aug 6 2018, 07:15 AM)
I wasn't that solid on defense at all.  5 of my 12 career errors were committed this season.

Yet Biggio was the better overall player?  What did I beat Alazar with, locker room presence?

For what it's worth, I agree with the placement here.  3.7 WAR v 3.5 WAR passes the "smell test," as it were, but now can we admit I got screwed on Silver Slugger?

If he was slightly better on defense, and slightly better on offense, but you were a significantly better base runner, that can be the difference. IRL Baserunning has no effect on Silver Slugger

--------------------

Update Page

user posted image

Five rings in five seasons
PM
^
Beaver
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 07:18 AM
Quote Post
N/A

N/A

Lmao 16th? I guess my incredible personality and charisma plus my natural likability are carrying my garbage player into overrated territory.

--------------------
Do Min-joon
Player Page || Updates

user posted image
PM
^
majesiu
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 07:32 AM
Quote Post
N/A

Group: Commisioner
N/A

QUOTE (iamslm22 @ Aug 6 2018, 04:08 PM)

IRL Baserunning has no effect on Silver Slugger

Still we are sim league and that's our equivalent of best offensive player on that position. If we were to take slugger literally (and how OOTP engine interprets it btw) we would just take a look at slugging/iso, amount of HRs and RBIs, which clearly isn't (and shouldn't) be the case - we have winners based on their AVG/OBP instead. There are many ways to be successful cog to the offense, including great baserunning and stealing which is even more valuable in low scoring park like Death Valley one.
If that helps we can consider renaming the award, tough I think simply taking into consideration all factors even voting should be enough.

Also it's a pleasant surprise that I still wasn't named on the list, especially since the grade I've given myself already appeared on the list. Competition in top 10 is going to be tough!

--------------------

Player Page | Update Page | Index Page
QUOTE (Whatistheinternet @ Aug 2 2018, 07:15 AM)
Jousu is probably some kind of European demigod hiding out in a deactivated NATO missile silo from the Cold War.
PM
^
Keygan
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 07:57 AM
Quote Post
N/A

Group: Updater Team
N/A

QUOTE (kckolbe @ Aug 6 2018, 04:15 AM)
I wasn't that solid on defense at all.  5 of my 12 career errors were committed this season.

Yet Biggio was the better overall player?  What did I beat Alazar with, locker room presence?

For what it's worth, I agree with the placement here.  3.7 WAR v 3.5 WAR passes the "smell test," as it were, but now can we admit I got screwed on Silver Slugger?

Will you ever shut up about not winning a fake award?

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
kckolbe
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 08:14 AM
Quote Post
N/A

QUOTE (iamslm22 @ Aug 6 2018, 09:08 AM)

If he was slightly better on defense, and slightly better on offense, but you were a significantly better base runner, that can be the difference. IRL Baserunning has no effect on Silver Slugger

Actually, Bzerkap had linked something showing that SS was the award for all offensive production.

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
iamslm22
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 08:33 AM
Quote Post
humble like kendrick

QUOTE (kckolbe @ Aug 6 2018, 11:14 AM)

Actually, Bzerkap had linked something showing that SS was the award for all offensive production.

I get that, but it never effects it in real life. Ricky Henderson won only one or two times and those were the seasons he was hitting home runs.

--------------------

Update Page

user posted image

Five rings in five seasons
PM
^
Beaver
 Posted: Aug 6 2018, 08:39 AM
Quote Post
N/A

N/A

QUOTE (Keygan @ Aug 6 2018, 11:57 AM)

Will you ever shut up about not winning a fake award?

Damn I thought this was a seminal moment, the first "caring about fake baseball lol!" in league history. Alas, no. It appears there were a few previous.

--------------------
Do Min-joon
Player Page || Updates

user posted image
PM
^
OnceAndFutureKing
 Posted: Aug 10 2018, 12:43 AM
Quote Post
N/A

N/A

I see I got some free build advice in there. Much appreciated.

--------------------

user posted image

Player Page  user posted image  Update Page

(Please note that the majority of posts I make are in character and are not intended to cause any offence to any user)
PM
^
cosbornballboy
 Posted: Aug 10 2018, 09:01 AM
Quote Post
N/A

N/A

QUOTE (JuOSu @ Aug 6 2018, 12:52 AM)

30) SS Ziggy Coffey - Death Valley Scorpions https://i.imgur.com/KfiO1hh.png - 6.83

.293/.346/.389, 396 AB, 6 HR, 45 RBI, 107 wRC+, 2.4 WAR, +1.8 ZR, 77/15 SB/CS

Ziggy Coffey is a player that one may have considered an everyday player, good but not great before this season. However, this season Coffey discovered in himself the ability to steal the bases.

A man after my own heart

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll